November 12, 2014

Genius Hour Every Friday is a MUST!

Oh my! It has been a looonnnnggggg time! Sorry everyone. I do have a great excuse though :) I am expecting baby #3 in May! These last 3 months have been...well, lets just say that I have been loving my saltine crackers a lot. Haha!

Well, every Tuesday I think of my BBB Holly and her fun/awesome Tried it Tuesday linky! I have a bunch of catching up to do, but I will take it slowly.


I read about something called Genius Hour over the summer and knew I had to try it. Click here to learn more.

Every Friday I give my students one hour to study whatever they want. They LOVE this time. I've even had students not go on family trips so they didn't miss Genius Hour (not even kidding). They use their Chromebooks to research, keep their notes, and all that jazz. The requirements were to present 10 new facts they learned, 10 facts they already knew, and to have at least 5 visuals/models.

Today, we had our presentations and they turned out great! Here are a few pictures...

A student presenting


I had a couple students build models. This student actually built a snake robot. It slithered, hissed, and reached out to bite if you walked in front. I had another student make a very detailed model of the solar system. Both were very awesome. Wish I would have taken more pictures!

More presenting going on.


I had the students grade each other based on a 1, 2, 3 scale and also grade themselves. Genius Hour is definitely a keep in our classroom! 

No comments:

Post a Comment