December 1, 2012

Freebie, freebie!

So, my district uses My Access. This is an online writing program and it is pretty dang awesome. It takes the students through all the steps of the writing process as well as helps them check the 6 traits. Well, my 107 students wrote a narrative and finished it up on Friday. I was checking the reports and looking at the errors report I found my students had over 1,000 capitalization errors. 1,000!!!!!!!!

Holy freakin' cow!

Now, remember, I teach 6th grade and capitalization has been taught to these kids. I even did a unit on capitalization at the beginning of the year. I am totally convinced this is a result of laziness. After my 4th and 5th hour class submitted their final papers I checked the same reports and there were a lot of capitalization errors. So I warned my 6th and 7th hour classes and they had even more errors!! I even warned them!

Now, there were other errors that all fall under editing. I OBVIOUSLY need to back up and see what is going on here.

So, here are my thoughts...

-Review basic capitalization, spelling and word usage
-Identify what is going on/missing
-Keep reviewing these concepts and identifying mistakes

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

FREEBIE!!


I created 4 Christmas Editing Cards that each have 8 Christmas related sentences on them. On Monday I am going to have my students edit these sentences and rewrite each one. Hopefully I can begin to figure out what is going on. 

If you are one of the first 3 people to comment, I will send this Editing Christmas Sentences pack to you for free! Remember to include your email.



3 comments:

  1. I would love a copy of this!

    Thanks!
    cheriemae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want it! :-) Pretty please!!! dweygandt@lcer.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a copy of this if it's still available! I teach 5th grade and have been noticing the same thing :) I will have to keep working on this for the 6th grade teachers.

    mgy001@aquinas.edu

    ReplyDelete